- Build brand awareness for newly launched sites
- Market to customers who have already converted with special offers
- Since Google launched its remarketing platform, businesses are taking full advantage and increasing their conversions 300-400% plus.
- Create native ads to drive traffic and conversions.
- Convert shopping cart abandonment
- Segment campaigns based on user type
- Create landing pages with your retargeting call to action
Remarketing is the technique of serving targeted ads to your audience who have already visited or taken action on your website. In remarketing, you can collect information of the users of your site and create lists so that you can later send them emails. You can connect with the visitors of your site who have previously visited your site by sending them sales emails. This is a powerful tool to improve sales and is used where the sales process is lengthy as well as competitive.
Retargeting is a form of online advertising used to target bounced traffic after they leave your website. It is possible that your website is getting huge traffic yet you are not getting any sales. In retargeting, you can reach out to the 98% of users who despite visiting your website didn’t complete your call to action.
Retargeting and remarketing are sometimes used interchangeably, though they have some major differences. When it comes to remarketing vs. retargeting, the main difference lies in the strategy. In retargeting, ads are being served to the potential customers based on cookies while in remarketing this is usually done through emails.
There are a lot of online platforms available to people where they can come in contact with your brand in one or more of the following ways:
- Visited your website
- Saw an advertisement somewhere else
- Click on an ad (Google Adwords, Bing Ads etc.) on search engines or website
- Filled out a form on your website
The great thing about these platforms is that they give online marketers the ability to target users who are already interested in your product or service. You can sell your products and service to those customers that have expressed a high level of purchase intent and that are in the buying cycle. Also, you can create some incredible ROI from these platforms.
The steps involved in remarketing include:
- Visitors visit your website
- Visitors added to an audience
- Provide Ads to an audience across Google Display Network
- Drive visitors back to your website
Remarketing services let you achieve the following:
But, is remarketing difficult to understand and set up?
There are some incredible remarketing platforms ready to smash your ROI targets as long as you know the basics. You take more time to work on strategy and branding with these remarketing platforms as they handle all of the technicalities. Some of the best remarketing platforms include Adroll, Perfect Audience, and Retargeter.
Email remarketing is used to describe email cart abandonment shopping cart emails and lifecycle marketing emails. It is not just Amazon who think email remarketing is a good strategy. 25% of the top 1000 internet retailers (by revenue) send shopping abandonment emails to their customers.
A survey based on 3000 adult consumers in the US and UK was released under title “Marketing Personalization Preferences of Shoppers Worldwide”. Part of the study was dedicated to understanding which marketing tactics people really appreciate, not just tolerate. Among US shoppers, the most popular personalization email was an alert email for when interesting products were on sale (58 percent). The 2nd most popular appreciation emails were VIP customer appreciation emails, with 51 percent of those surveyed saying they appreciated the outreach. Cart abandonment reminders were most popular with those aged 25-34, with 41% saying they appreciated the follow-up. The insight here is that the most appreciated personalization tactics from the consumer survey report titled “Marketing Personalization Preferences of Shoppers Worldwide” were totally focussed on emails.
Retargeting is so interesting because it is done through the third parties such as Facebook Retargeting, Perfect Audience and the Google Display network giving you the opportunity to reach users wherever they are on millions of websites. The steps involved in Google retargeting include:
- Visitors visit your website
- The visitor leaves your website without any sale and goes to another website
- Your Ad serves the visitor
- Visitor clicks on Ad and returns to your website to complete the purchase
Infographic Source: hubshout.com
Marketers can choose from a variety of different retargeting strategies or channels. Here are some of the effective retargeting channels and strategies from chango.com:
- Target users based on searches they used on search engines including Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc.
- Target users based on the particular products viewed, actions, or actions not taken (such as abandoning an online shopping cart)
- Target users who have interacted with a partner website that a similar topic/interest to your own website
- Target users based on how they entered your website such as using the inbound event to better customize messaging
- Target users who consume similar content to your existing
- Target users who are using your email
- Target users who have used distributed content including one or more of the following: a custom Facebook web page, an expandable video advertisement unit, or an online gaming app.
Adroll has been providing a variety of advertising options to businesses for more than 5 years, but they are best known for their retargeting plans.
Adroll works with advertising partners such as the following:
- Facebook Exchange
Adroll lets you reach 98% of the websites on the internet. Speaking of ROI, Adroll retargeting customers earn $10 for every $1 spent on average (as claimed by their website)
- Easily the frontrunner when it comes to retargeting platforms
- The service and ease of the platform make it worth your marketing dollars though it is a little expensive.
Adroll makes retargeting quite simple with features such as analytics that is easy to read. They offer Liquids Ads service for websites with over 60,000 unique visitors per month. LiquidAds enable advertisers to personalize each impression based on the product pages that an individual user visits
Perfect Audience is a great option for small businesses that are keen to learn a bit more about online advertising without spending massive amounts of money. The guys at Perfect Audience provide a retargeting platform for those who would like to keep as simple as possible. All you need to do is insert a script/code in the body section of your website, create lists of visitors’ types to retarget, design campaigns to target certain segments in your retargeting lists, and your advertisements will begin appearing on visitors’ screens.
As mentioned earlier, Perfect Audience focuses on keeping it as simple as possible. They offer a quick start guide with instructions for setting up and starting in use in a matter of minutes.
The “site reports” really shows the names of websites which your advertisement have been served on, how many impressions served, and how many clicks you achieved. Using this data, you can easily see where your advertisements are performing the best and where your target users are spending most of their online time.
Retargeter, a comparatively new platform, offers a wide range of online marketing and remarketing solutions, including the following (to name a few):
- Website retargeting
- Facebook Exchange
- Customer relationship management (CRM) retargeting
- Email remarketing
- Search retargeting
- Short tag
The service is aimed at websites with over 30,000 unique visitors per month. You can use frequency capping. For instance, frequency capping shows users 15-20 advertisements for every month so that advertisements don’t appear left, right, and center.
Since they do not focus on a certain type of retargeting you can select various options, including the following:
- Retargeting visitors who have browsed your website
- Subscribers who have opened your newsletter
- People who have engaged with you on social media
Remarketing/retargeting can help you accomplish your business objectives, and we can help you implement them. Please contact us today for FREE consultation or call us now at 619.567.9322.