Table of contents:
- User-friendly Navigation
- Optimize Shopify Homepage
- Optimize Category pages
- Optimize the Product Pages
- Optimize the Cart Page
- Optimize Checkout Page
- Optimize Abandonment Cart
- Optimize Page Speed
Shopify is one of the leading ecommerce platforms with thousands of businesses globally.
Conversion rate optimization (CRO) is the process of increasing the percentage of website visitors who purchase your product or service.
- Increase your sales and revenue for your business
- Get more customers
- Develop your business by optimizing your conversion rate
Some interesting CRO statistics:
- 57% of B2B marketers say conversion rate is the most useful metric for analyzing landing page performance. (Ascend2)
- Companies experience a 55% increase in leads when increasing their number of landing pages from 10 to 15. (Hubspot)
- Videos on a landing page can increase conversions by up to 86%. (Eye View Digital)
- User-generated content (UGC) can increase conversion rates by as much as 200% (Yotpo)
- 96% of B2B marketers agree that segmentation is the most valuable method for improving conversion rates (SessionCam)
- Companies with mobile-optimized sites triple their chances of increasing the mobile conversion rate to 5% or above. (Adobe)
Make the navigation user-friendly with no clutter or too much information. Ensure all the categories, sub-categories are well defined so that it becomes easy for users to find products and navigate through your ecommerce website.
Optimize Shopify Homepage
The homepage should capture attention, spark interest, and attract users to purchase. Some of the key things on top of your homepage known as the header should include:
- Branding that identifies your company
- A call to action having information about sales or specials
- Search functionality so visitors can find things fast
- Shopping cart access so that it is easy for visitors to get to their cart and checkout
Follow these steps to create an engaging and compelling homepage:
- Use the minimalist approach
Simplicity is the key to an effective homepage. The design of the homepage should be simple and visually appealing. Don’t use excessive images and text that overwhelms the customer.
- Add promos, real-time purchases, and more
As soon as the visitors hit your homepage, they should know what products, sales, coupon codes, promotions, deals, and special offers you are proving so that they are drawn to your site.
You can add a countdown timer with coupons and special offers to your checkout page to increase urgency. You can also use a bunch of apps for Shopify store owners to boost demand, incentivize purchasing, and get more traffic to your products.
- Add product reviews and testimonials to build trust
Your homepage should display testimonials, reviews, and badges underneath your main content to develop trust and project reliability.
Optimize Category Pages
Category pages are the landing pages for specific categories that guide users to particular items or further categories of your ecommerce website. Create category pages by sorting your product range into logical sections.
Divide your product range into categories and subcategories to make it easy for shoppers to browse your site and find the products to add to their carts. Conversions in your Shopify store will be increased if you make it easy for your potential customers to find what they are looking for.
To create effective product category pages, you need to:
- Sort your product range into logical sections
- Divide your product range into categories and subcategories
- Design the site in the way you think your customers will move around it
- Make it easy for shoppers to browse your site and find the products to add to their carts.
- Optimize product category features to boost conversions
- Keep testing and refining the different elements
Optimize The Product Pages
Your product pages need to clearly communicate the value of your products to your customers. Build immersive experiences that deal with every aspect of your products and reduce any chance for doubt or confusion.
- Use high-quality product images
The most important part of an effective product page is high-quality product images. Images should be such that they show your products from all angles and show the look and feel of your products perfectly.
- Be upfront about price, delivery time, and out of stock products
Don’t give any information to the customers that can confuse or mislead them. Inform them about the complete extent pricing, delivery time, and inventory.
- Get more product reviews
Positive product reviews will influence the purchasing decision of the shoppers and convince them that your product is worth buying.
Optimize The Cart Page
Another opportunity to maximize the average order value by offering an up-sell is the cart page.
- Suggest shoppers add something else in their cart that will complement the product that is already in their cart or meet the minimum order value for free shipping.
- Recommend products to your shoppers based on what is already in their cart. Give them a custom explanation of why it complements their purchase to increase conversions.
- Trust needs to be established before the checkout. You can boost your sales by repeating messages of security, free shipping, lifetime technical support, and a customer phone number.
Optimize Checkout Page
The checkout experience needs to be frictionless and flawless as it is one of the last steps of each shopper’s purchasing process. Shopify allows you to make your checkout page look much better by easily uploading your logo and matching colors to your brand.
Make the shopping cart experience as pleasant and easy as possible by providing:
- Detail shipping and payment methods on the checkout page
- Possibilities of free shipping
- Approximate shipping date
- FAQ and returns policy
Optimize Abandonment Cart
Abandoned carts happen a lot in an ecommerce business and it needs to be addressed. $18 Billion are lost by ecommerce brands every year due to Cart Abandonment.The Average Cart Abandonment Rate Across All Industries is 69.57 Percent [sleeknote.com].
You can reduce abandoned carts, win back those shoppers, and recover lost sales by:
- Adopting a smart abandoned cart email strategy
Optimize Page Speed
Fast page load speed also increases visitor engagement, retention, and increases sales.1 in 4 visitors abandon a website which takes more than 4 seconds to load [websitebuilderexpert.com].
Some of the factors to take into account regarding the Shopify page speed optimization are:
- Image optimization: Good compression decreases the size of the image files and it makes almost no or negligible impact on the quality or color of the images.
- Lazy loading: Go for lazy loading in which images only load when the visitor scrolls down the page. Lazy loading performance optimization will enable you to optimize the images for better performance.
- Fix server errors: You might have uninstalled an app from your Shopify store but it is possible that all the app code from your theme is not removed. The page loading speed is impacted with such a broken code or old app code. Monitor the codebase regularly to optimize the page speed performance of your store.
Implement the methods mentioned above to start optimizing and discovering new ways to increase your conversions. A well-structured CRO strategy in place will help you to:
- Turn more of your existing visitors into customers.
- Increase your overall profit margin.
- Improve your brand reputation.
Always keep testing and follow the Shopify conversion optimization process to boost your conversions.
Deepak Wadhwani has over 20 years experience in software/wireless technologies. He has worked with Fortune 500 companies including Intuit, ESRI, Qualcomm, Sprint, Verizon, Vodafone, Nortel, Microsoft and Oracle in over 60 countries. Deepak has worked on Internet marketing projects in San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange Country, Denver, Nashville, Kansas City, New York, San Francisco and Huntsville. Deepak has been a founder of technology Startups for one of the first Cityguides, yellow pages online and web based enterprise solutions. He is an internet marketing and technology expert & co-founder for a San Diego Internet marketing company.