Digital transformation trends have been revolutionizing over the last few years. Technology and the number of companies using them are also increasing. The digital transformation can be considered an essential disruption which inspires most of the businesses to enhance their customer experience. However, the increasing pressures in cost, efficiency, and quality will be faced by the manufacturers in the coming decade. It seems that the only way to survive would be adoption of new technology like IoT, 5G, AI, enterprise resource planning, or VR/AR training.
Well-functioning organizations will use every opportunity in order to turn the businesses in a new direction towards innovation, growth, and sustainability. Below are some of the biggest technologies that will continue to grow in 2020.
- 5G: 5G will be the biggest highlight of 2020. Telecommunication providers will ensure that global 5G deployments stay on pace while as Android handset makers are already out with 5G phones. In addition to this, faster broadband speeds and more reliable mobile networks, 5G will also increase developments in a smart city, smart vehicle, smart manufacturing, and lots of IoT-intensive technologies in which 5G is needed. It is not just phones that will be impacted by 5G. There will be a transformation in almost every industry due to 5G.
- Faster WiFi: WiFi 6 and 5G are totally different technologies. But there will be faster processing and wireless connection speeds in 2020. Both of the technologies will bring faster connectivity for home and office. WiFi 6 will provide download speeds that will be three times faster than WiFi 5. In comparison to WiFi 5, WiFi 6 will be able to extend faster data speeds to much more devices. Since the number of connected devices on the average WiFi network is most likely to increase in the coming years which means a faster, more efficient, and smarter WiFi capabilities are required. The quality and volume of data used through WiFi networks are also increasing and WiFi 6 will be able to handle the load.
- Analytics is a Competitive Advantage: Companies that are not investing a lot in analytics will be out of business in 2021. There has to be complete use of modern analytics tools as there is a lot of customer data that a company has to collect, process and turn into insights in order to remain competitive. It is the time when businesses are leveraging advanced analytics tools to detect problems, opportunities, and solutions. Following your gut or flying blind is no longer an option.
- AI and Machine Learning become force multipliers for data analytics: Before investing in analytics, invest in AI and machine learning so that you can deal with the huge information and data that can be used in many ways. It is due to AI that difficult data sets can now be analyzed faster. This has become possible not only because computers are becoming much faster but also because AI and machine learning algorithms have become very good at data analysis and can be scaled in the cloud easily.
- Blockchain moves beyond Crypto: In 2020, we will finally begin to see the scale for some important use cases for blockchain beyond cryptocurrency. There are many global leaders like Samsung, Microsoft, IBM, and China’s Alibaba that are using the technology beyond payments and cryptocurrencies. It might be the beginning of the true rise of Blockchain.
- RPA catches a second wind: Robotic Process Automation is not a new concept but there will be huge RPA investments in 2020. RPA is already used in enterprise companies like Cisco to help form wiggle room to upskill and supplement the value of their current staff. A model like this is definitely and quickly turning into a winning formula.
- Conversational AI becomes a legitimate interface: Some type of conversational AI is going to become beneficial in 2020. In the software arena, projects like Microsoft Conversational AI are working very hard to create platforms that not only can hear properly but also understand difficult conversations and get the nuances of emotion. In 2020, there will be major developments in everyday consumer technology.
- APCs transform the laptop market forever: Just like us, our PCs should also be connected. In 2020, there will be an expansion of ACPCs with embedded 5G and LTE connectivity.
- Connected vehicles, autonomous drones, and Smart Cities become our new reality: Edge compute along with 5G will make it possible in the near future to have completely autonomous cars, drones, and smart cities. Automotive manufacturers and technology makers will work to make such technologies a reality soon.
- XaaS, UX/CX, and privacy: Some technology-adjacent trends like XaaS (everything as a service), UX/CX (User/Customer Experience), and digital privacy will lead Digital Transformation discussions in 2020. The success of digital transformation depends a lot on the user and customer experience (UX/CX) and XaaS will gain even more momentum in 2020 than it did last year. The number of that take privacy and data security issues seriously will also increase in 2020.
Tried and tested trends and technologies will defiantly be central in most digital transformation initiatives but the ten trends discussed above will both lead digital transformation discussions and update the course of effective digital transformation programs in 2020.