Magento 2 has been released after many years of development in order to make it more robust and scalable. It’s a major development in the world of ecommerce since Magento is the most popular ecommerce platform on the internet. This is an important release of Magento and their giant ecosystem of online merchants, partners, and developers.
What is Magento 2?
Magento is now the most powerful platform that allows businesses and brands from B2C to B2B industries deliver shopping experiences quickly and easily and interact with customers in omnichannel. Magento 2 is quite updated with a better user interface and ease of use for all types of ecommerce websites. It’s extremely fast and much safer than previous versions, including the beta. Some of the new features updated in Magento 2 include:
- Improved Interface elements customization
- Improved Performance & Scalability
1. Improve indexers: Indexing is the way Magento system transforms merchant data, such as catalog data, prices, users, stores, etc. making product pages and search faster
2. Magento performance toolkit: Fin
3. Varnish Integrated within Magento
1. Full page caching
2. Multiple admins : Multiple users can edit products without fear of data conflicts
Database Improvements :
- For Magento, the single point of failure has always been the database
- On Magento 2.0, you can have a standalone database for order management and checkout. This means that if you want, you can have the front end of your site’s content, products and categories served out of one mySQL database.
- The checkout page can use a secondary, standalone database. This allows you to scale out the site, and have a dedicated resources for the most important site visitors – the people trying to check out on the site and make a purchase
- Because of the database improvements, you can also have concurrent product management (up to 25+ users in the system updating products) and concurrent order management (up to 50+ users in the backend Magento admin processing orders)
- The Magento Testing Framework (MTF) provides the ability to create and run functional tests, simplifying acceptance, smoke, regression, or other testing
- All functional tests are available in the Magento code
- Besides being open source, MTF is a cross-platform solution that enables the development and usage of functional tests.
- The platform is capable for running multiple tests simultaneously, but you can still perform a single test
Reduced Upgrade Time and Costs:
Upgrading core Magento software as well as installing and upgrading extensions in Magento 2 will be much easier compared to Magento 1.x.
- Upgrading Magento to new versions.
- Installing Magento.
- Installing/upgrading extensions.
- Upgrading to Magento 2.
Great UI/UX – Friendly backend design:
Magento core team also introduced user-friendly backend UI/UX for store owners.
What does Magento really mean for businesses?
The user interface of Magento is user-friendly while providing the users an ability to create products faster and more efficiently. Each table view can be completely personalized and customized.
The performance of end-to-end catalog is much faster than previously known. Customers are able to shop 50% faster when an ecommerce store uses Magento 2 for their store through browser rendering that has been increased from the preceding versions, even more efficient image compression, reduced coding, and even a separate database when it comes to processing orders. This percentage is up more than 26% compared to the original Magento.
What else is different?
It took so long to develop Magento 2 completely allowing a wider range of technical design improvements. This has proven very beneficial to businesses around the globe. Magento 2 features a new framework library, security that has been extremely upgraded since the previous version, automated testing framework, better applications for HTML5 and CSS3 as well as the improvement of model management.
Should I make the switch?
Ultimately, it’s up to the state of the business to help those decide whether to choose to upgrade to Magento 2 or not! For added security and a more optimized experience for your ecommerce business, Magento 2 is an updated version that will help keep your business on its feet and up to date. Without this, the competition may crush as they’ll have a more solidified foundation behind their website. Because of the ease of use with the complexity of what they offer, Magento 2 is extremely handy compared to its freshman release. The redesign of Magento has proven quite beneficial to those who run fast-paced ecommerce businesses and chains.
Deepak Wadhwani has over 20 years experience in software/wireless technologies. He has worked with Fortune 500 companies including Intuit, ESRI, Qualcomm, Sprint, Verizon, Vodafone, Nortel, Microsoft and Oracle in over 60 countries. Deepak has worked on Internet marketing projects in San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange Country, Denver, Nashville, Kansas City, New York, San Francisco and Huntsville. Deepak has been a founder of technology Startups for one of the first Cityguides, yellow pages online and web based enterprise solutions. He is an internet marketing and technology expert & co-founder for a San Diego Internet marketing company.