Internet marketing originated in the early 1990’s as simple web pages with text-only information. With the development of the World Wide Web (WWW), it evolved into advertisements including graphics, video and multimedia interaction. Currently, internet is a vital medium of communication and used by billions of people around the world. As we know, the Internet is an interactive medium unlike traditional media such as radio or television; we can personalize our message or views. Internet has greatly changed the world of marketing and business in general. For that, we must take into account the use of this medium when developing our marketing strategy. Currently, online marketing or internet marketing is increasingly used by companies from small businesses to large enterprises to disseminate and promote their products and services.
Some of the major advantages of internet advertising include:
- It allows us to measure the results of advertising campaigns in real time with pinpoint accuracy.
- You can directly engage potential customers or users.
- It allows continuous adaptations and modifications of the campaigns according to needs of the moment.
- It is much cheaper than the “traditional” media.
- It analyzes the type of customer that purchases our products or services.
There are many forms on Internet Advertising including Display, Video, Search (PPC), Remarketing, Social Media and more. In search advertising, ads appear on search engine results when consumers type in relevant keywords. Google is the key player in search advertising with their AdWords program.
In display advertising, web banners or banner ads are placed on a third-party website or blog to drive traffic to your website and increase brand awareness. These banners can be static or animated images, as well as interactive media including video and audio.
A video is worth over 1 million words of content. Video advertising is one of the fastest-growing online advertising platform today, as well as one of the most promising one. It includes in-stream video advertising, contextual video advertising, video banner ads and more. Some of the top platforms for video advertising besides YouTube, Facebook and Vimeo include AOL Networks/Adap.TV, BrightRoll, SpotXchange, Auditude, AdoTube, Videology, YuMe and more.
Pay Per Click Advertising:
If your page does not appear in the top 20 results of a search engine (which is quite optimistic) it will not get many visitors through search engine results (SERPs), unless you pay for it. Many search engines, however, have a column on the right side of search results where you can buy a “sponsored link”, i.e. the one which can appear on that list on payment of a fee. This is what we call Pay Per Click (PPC).
Systems, “pay per click” or “pay per views” are advertising models based on which advertiser pays for each real visit received through the system. In a PPC search engine, advertisers bid for obtaining top positions in the keywords of interest. The highest bidder, along with other criteria, makes an announcement appears at the top of the list of results, which (supposedly) will get the higher number of visitors, while increasing the cost per visit. The main PPC platforms are Google Adwords, Bing Ads (Microsoft Adcenter) and Yahoo paid search. All feed “sponsored results” or “advertising links” to major search engines and web portals. These ad networks have programs to pay for visits that allow advertisers select a set of keywords, a URL associated with that direct visitors, custom titles and descriptions for each keyword, items that appear in the results offered by Google, overture and spotting well as their corresponding partner networks. The order of advertisements on Google for no longer depends only on the bet advertisers but other factors such as the rate of clicks (“Click-Through Rate” – CTR) of the ad.
The fundamental advantage that present systems “Pay per click” is its ability to provide almost immediate visibility to advertisers in major search engines and portals. Its drawback is its, in many cases, costly so it must be complemented by positioning campaigns “free” results and performance measurement systems.
How does Pay Per Click work?
First you choose the terms that are important to your customers, those terms that people seek in the search. Then investigate how other advertisers are paying to appear on these lists sponsored links. The higher you want to appear in the list of sponsors, the more you’ll pay. You should be able to identify more than 100 related search terms by which you might want to bid on a single product or service.
- PPC is the one of most effective advertising methods to get traffic, leads and sales.
- Have the ability to continuously monitor the cost per visitor.
- It’s simple: the more you pay, the better position you will have in the list of “sponsored links”.
- You only pay for visitors who click on your ad.
- With PPC you can choose the terms to advertise your products and services.
- Generates Quality traffic on your website and the visitor can read a description of your activity before clicking on your ad.
- Do not use the tool to remove domains from Google to get rid of a canonical domain. Searchers can work to resolve the canonization or remove session forums.
Infographic Source: http://onlinemarketingtogo.com/
What is Search Engine Optimization (SEO)?
When we talk about search engine optimization (SEO), it reflects the intent or the task of optimizing the information on your website that you want to appear in the best possible positions among the search results based on over 200 factors of the Google algorithm.
The SEO techniques can be excessive and affect the natural results of the major search engines so if you violate the terms and conditions, it may be considered, in some cases, as a form of SPAM or spamdexing.
SEO work is crucial, since the position involves programming code, design, content and search engines have different operating rules.
The State of SEO:
SEO has changed dramatically in the last few years with new algorithms by Google like Hummingbird, Panda, Penguin and more for mobile friendly, quality and anti-spam. There are now almost 200 factors that evaluate page rank for a website.
Some SEO Tips for Google:
- Google constantly updates its index: stay tuned!
- Make your URLs SEO Friendly with “dashes” in the URL’s.
- Do not buy or sell website links.
- Avoid duplicate content, exact copies or very similar content.
- Add a blog to your website.
- A different title for each page.
- Minimize the number of redirects on your website.
- Minimize the number of parameters in a URL.
- Do not use the parameter “id = …” or session.
- Google’s algorithms are combating spam so ensure your website has high quality content.
- It is recommended not to use sub domains with duplicate content, and use 301 redirects to correct.
- Use 301 redirects for URLs that are not canonical. Suppose your page can be reached in multiple ways:
It’s a good idea to pick one of those URLs as your preferred (canonical) destination, and use 301 redirects to send traffic from the other URLs to your preferred URL. A server-side 301 redirect is the best way to ensure that users and search engines are directed to the correct page. The 301 status code means that a page has permanently moved to a new location.
Deepak Wadhwani has over 20 years experience in software/wireless technologies. He has worked with Fortune 500 companies including Intuit, ESRI, Qualcomm, Sprint, Verizon, Vodafone, Nortel, Microsoft and Oracle in over 60 countries. Deepak has worked on Internet marketing projects in San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange Country, Denver, Nashville, Kansas City, New York, San Francisco and Huntsville. Deepak has been a founder of technology Startups for one of the first Cityguides, yellow pages online and web based enterprise solutions. He is an internet marketing and technology expert & co-founder for a San Diego Internet marketing company.