Search Engine Optimization techniques have evolved drastically over the last few years with Google changing its algorithm several times from Caffine, Panda, Penguin to Hummingbird now. The fundamentals using clean on-page SEO tags, html code, building a few links, used to get your website traffic from Google within a few months. With the number of sites and content increasing exponentially the race to the top of hill is steeper and resource intensive. Now, you have to start thinking outside the box and leverage unconventional tactics that will boost your rankings.
In this article we are going to discuss some uncommon but effective ways with which to give your website that extra SEO boost your search engine rankings on Google, Bing, Yahoo etc. :
- Leverage YouTube video channels to full potential: YouTube has emerged as a very powerful tool to bring in traffic to your site, Google tends to rank YouTube video pages higher than other pages with similar content. By using good title, description, proper links and annotations/transcripts you can improve the position of your YouTube videos and generate more traffic for your linked pages. One must strike a balance and not overboard with this technique or you could be flagged.
- Use Press Releases in conjunction with your pages/urls: While PRs are around for some time, they are not among more widely used of marketing and promotion techniques of print marketing. They are widely distributed and take less effort to have a good PR linking to your site on popular site for free. You can also submit press releases directly to online news and business journal for free if you have an actual event going on and give a URL for more information.
- Provide more in depth information be a subject matter expert authority : Create more in depth content for your website with lot of extra insights & reference links. The extra effort you help you get more traffic by referrals and link back from others who quote your link among there resource. It is also acceptable to request link back from authors and sources you have quoted in the article. Google’s In Depth Article Algorithm Update leapfrogged the article which covered a topic in detailed manner, any article with over 2000 words is subjected to this criteria.
- Use Competitor’s Broken Links: Make a list of your competitor’s backlinks, many tools for that are available online, in those backlinks look for broken links then contact the webmaster of the site or blog from where broken link is placed and inform them of the said broken link ask them to replace that broken link with your link which has relevant content. In some ways it looks a bit underhanded but it is a perfectly okay way to get quality backlinks for your site.
- Use Infographics where possible: Infographics and the more recent version the animated Infographics are a very effective way of getting your information across and getting likes and shares on social media avenues. While they are a bit tricky to get right Infographics are worth the effort but ensure that the data in your infographic is really good, and the graphics themselves are pretty.
- Use Google AdWords to optimize your Meta tags for On-page SEO : Google AdWords algorithm generated a lot of data about the keywords that fetch highest bids. Since it google generated data you can leverage the data to generate meta data that you can see is getting good traffic and ad revenue in to your content. While not a definitive source, Google Adwords information can really help you get that extra insight to improve your Meta content quality.
- Professional Association Sites: Get backlinks to your website on professional associated sites, you may have to really work for it but the benefit will be huge for off-page SEO so it is well worth the effort. In some cases, you may be able to join a professional association and pay for a description and link to your site.